[Dovecot] Issues with VANISHED CHANGEDSINCE

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Thu Nov 8 00:41:48 EET 2012

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> On 8.11.2012, at 0.08, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure changing the defaults is a good idea.  But if someone
>> does want to use a particular dovecot server as the backend for
>> activesync clients, for example, it would probably make sense to
>> allow these values to be tweaked via the config files.  (I can see
>> an organization having a "normal" IMAP server and a "activesync"
>> IMAP server that differ in these details, and also in things like
>> IDLE timeouts).
>
> Well .. I hate adding more settings. :) There are way too many
> already. Ideally Dovecot would automatically do the right thing
> anyway. Just like it already caches only those things that are
> needed. It could also increase these values when QRESYNC is used, or
> even better to actually have the separate expunge log that I
> mentioned.

Thinking about this more, this can really all be handled by proper MUA
design.  In short, it is never a good idea to send a '1:*' UID range
to a VANISHED CHANGEDSINCE FETCH.

It remains a reasonable MUA design decision to not send the actual
cached UID list to the FETCH command: if this cached UID list is
thousands of messages long, obtaining this list, (optionally) sequence
set compressing, and sending via the command may take more
time/resources than it saves.  But a MUA should, at a minimum, keep
track of the minimum UID it is aware of in order to limit the possible
response.  This is a trivial amount of extra overhead and would
prevent a large number of spurious VANISHED UIDs to need to be
traversed.

michael