[Dovecot] Solr 4.0 - lucene - FTS

Thu Nov 8 13:45:41 EET 2012

On 2012-11-07 10:14 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> No, fts-lucene and fts-solr are separate backends. But I do have some small plans to add a few more features to fts-solr.

Thanks again Timo, but one last follow-up...

According to the wiki, Solr is the preferred method, but that seems
weird to me - it requires a full blown Solr server that dovecot
communicates with using HTTP/XML queries? Maybe not that big a deal, but
just sounds like overkill to me, unless you are maybe already using Solr
for website searches (which I'm not and have no need for). I would much
prefer something simpler that doesn't require any external dependencies
like that, so, next choice is Lucene...

Looks much simpler, only requires Lucene's C++ library...

But it builds only a single Lucene index for all mailboxes - not sure if
this is good or bad? Seems like it would be better/more efficient (and
less chance of index corruption, but most importantly, less overhead in
the event that one gets hosed and dovecot needs to rebuild it) to build
individual indexes for each mailbox, then, maybe, to provide support for
searching ALL mailboxes, have a master index that basically just
maintains a list of all of the individual indexes to be used for the
search (so it doesn't have to scan all available mailboxes, but which it
can do in the event that *it* ever got hosed).

Obviously I don't know much about all this, so may be totally off base...

Thanks again, and for listening to my ramblings,

--

Best regards,

Charles