[Dovecot] mbox vs. maildir storage block waste

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Fri Nov 9 02:22:37 EET 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 17:30 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 30.10.2012, at 2.16, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > Have you ever thought about adding a "real" DB backend? Nothing against
> > dbox... :) ... and I have no performance comparison of dbox with what
> > could be done with a DBMS... but the advantage of the later would be
> > that you get all fancy features from database systems for free... like
> > fast indexing, online replication, etc. p..
> > One might even reuse something like AOX for this.

> SQL indexes aren't very helpful for IMAP-like data. It would be fun to
> some day have SQL backend in Dovecot (there already is read-only
> INBOX-only SQL backend), but I don't expect it to have very good
> performance.

I see... well I haven't tested AOX or dbmail so far (especially as
they're not in Debian and I was too lazy till now to compile them)...

At least I had the impression that performance (especially in searches)
was one of the major things these people were proud of.

I'll stay tuned, whether we ever see a fully usable SQL backend for
Dovecot :)

Cheers,
Chris.