[Dovecot] [BUMP] Unanswered: how to force FTS indexing?

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon Nov 19 21:27:44 EET 2012

On 11/18/2012 6:57 AM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> on Sat Nov 17 2012, "Daniel L. Miller" <dmiller-AT-amfes.com> wrote:

>>> That actually doesn't work for me.  "doveadm index ..." does, though.
>>>
>> Use whatever works for you.  The problem (for me) with "doveadm index"
>> is it only works with the specified mailboxes.  It can be done for all
>> users - but only designated mailboxes.  So a "doveadm index -A INBOX"
>> will scan all inboxes - but none of the other folders.  The search
>> command I showed performs a recursive search that hits everything.
> I take it back; I'm not sure if "doveadm search" causes re-indexing.
> However, I *know* issuing a search command from a Python IMAP library
> doesn't do so.

That indicates something else is broken - unless my Dovecot
understanding is totally off (which is always possible, even likely).
To my knowledge, until the relatively recent support for the "doveadm
index" command, the primary and indeed only way to index was to perform
a search.  When Dovecot receives a search request, whether passed by
IMAP or through the doveadm backdoor, if the mailbox isn't current then
any new mails are supposed to be added to the index in the course of the
search.  If that doesn't happen - then I think something is broken in
your setup.

--
Daniel