[Dovecot] users mail folders have to be subscribed

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Tue Nov 20 15:53:19 EET 2012

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012, Andre Bischof wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 08:07:10 +0100
> From: Andre Bischof <andre.bischof at rheinsinn.de>
> To: dovecot at dovecot.org
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] users mail folders have to be subscribed
>
> Daniel,
>
> Am 19.11.2012 23:32 schrieb "Daniel Parthey" <
> daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>:
>>
>> Andre Bischof wrote:
>>> doveadm mailbox subscribe -u user at example.com "*"
>>>
>>> Should the user for "-u" be the system user the
>>> mailboxes belong to or has the user to be written in form of an email
>>> adress (user at localhost / user at n.dyndns.org)?
>>
>> It should be the same userdb username as used for imap login.
>
> Thank you. One thing that still doesn't work is subscribing to all
> mailboxes via "*", I guess because the folder names start with "." but
> dovecot mailbbox subscribe wants it without a starting "." Any clues how
> that can be solved?

In v2.1.10

doveadm mailbox subscribe -u user at example.com "*"

does indeed add the string "*" to the subscription list, hence, one cannot
add "all folders" with this wildcard.

However, you can use the Unix flexible modular command line system :-)
e.g.:

doveadm mailbox subscribe -u user at example.com \
  $( doveadm mailbox list -u user at example.com )

Make sure to use the same "-u ..." switch.

I'm not sure about shared mailboxes by other users. In my test, mailbox
list displays them, but subscribe does not add them, but silently ignores
them.

Other way would be to add subscribed folders into
"/home/of/user/Maildir/subscriptions", as you seem to use Maildir. One
folder per line.

Kind regards,

- --
Steffen Kaiser