[Dovecot] doveadm fails with passdb authentication binds (dovecot 2.0.16)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 23 09:15:50 EET 2012

On 20.11.2012, at 17.54, mailing lists wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm testing passdb auth binds with dovecot 2.0.16, but for some reason dovedm fails to work with the configuration showed below. The network trace shows the successful bind for the administrative user (uid=mailapp), but nothing for the mail user (uid=user001).
>
> what am i missing here?
>

> # doveadm mailbox list -u user001
> doveadm(user001): Error: user user001: Auth PASS lookup failed
> doveadm(user001): Fatal: passdb lookup failed

Are you running this on a Dovecot proxy? It looks like doveadm wants to do a passdb lookup to find out which server should handle this user. Passdb lookups don't work with LDAP binding. But if everything else works then I think you simply shouldn't have enabled doveadm proxying. So, set doveadm_proxy_port back to 0?