[Dovecot] v2.1.10: Director director_servers order issue

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 23 09:20:36 EET 2012

On 20.11.2012, at 22.56, Bertrand Jacquin wrote:

> # ring status on node1
> director ip port type last failed
> 10.0.50.50  9090 self never
> 10.0.50.51  9090      never
>
> # ring status on node2
> director ip port type last failed
> 10.0.50.50  9090 self never
> 10.0.50.51  9090      never
>
> self is the same on both nodes, and that generate some cases that can
> be observed on logs :
..
> It seems that first sorted entry in director_servers is considered as
> "self".

No, Dovecot tries to find the self by bind()ing to all the listed IPs, and assuming that the first one that succeeds is self. Apparently in your system bind() succeeds for non-self IPs as well. Any idea why?

I think I recently found out about some nicer way to check if an IP belongs to the local system, but I seem to have forgotten what it was.