[Dovecot] Any chance to access read-only mdboxes?

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Wed Nov 28 11:21:55 EET 2012

Am 28.11.2012 09:57, schrieb Jost Krieger:
> We would like to provide a self-service restore function to our users
> using their IMAP client of choice..
>
> Our idea was to use a snapshot (under ZFS, btrfs, whatever) and have it
> available to the user in a namespace.
>
> Unfortunately, but understandably, dovecot doesn't like the mdbox
> structure to be read-only. Is there any chance to change that?
>
> In the meantime, we could use a read-write snapshot, but we wouldn't
> like the users to really do changes to that snapshot.
>
> Our next attempt is to use ACLs, but it's a bit hard to gt the ACLs to
> the correct place in the snapshots, at least for thousands of users.
>
> Our currents solution (in test) is a quick and dirty patch to introduce
> inheritance to the ACLs by walking up the directory tree, so we need
> only one ACL.
>
> A cleaner solution would be very much appreciated.
>
> Yours
> Jost Krieger

a workaround perhaps is, postfix bcc archive mailboxes with a sieve rule
which  also sort mails spam/in/out/day/month/year in subfolders and then
set subfolders acl read only for their related users ( scriptable at
user creation time, and/or external sieve plugin),archive mailboxes may
show up in their shared namespace then, also forbid pop3 download on the
archive mailbox subfolders, if archive shouldnt exist for ever ,use dove
expunge on the archive mailboxes/subfolders for x
days/weeks/months/years ,whatever you prefer

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG