[Dovecot] dovecot dimensioning

mancyborg at gmail.com mancyborg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 17:20:49 EET 2012

Hi All, first post here, nice to meet you :)

I've been using dovecot + postfix + clamav + spamassassin for years but always with few users.

Now i must build a server for 1500 users,
they will use various email software (thunderbird, outlook, ..)
the webmail (i'm not sure if squirrelmail or roundcube)
and blackberry devices (with the BIS service).

There will be around 1000 domains (virtual_domains) and postfix will read its users and domains from mysql.

Let's say that they will send and receive around 5000 emails per hour (10K in total per hour).

I was thinking to use karspersky server instead of clamav.

I already have the hardware, it is a server with 4 physical cpu (Intel Xeon E5504 @ 2.00GHz) and 24 gb of ram,
do you think it is enough ?

Thanks for supporting,
regards and have a nice day,