[Dovecot] Android ICS stock client and IMAP Capability issue.

Massimiliano Cianelli massimiliano at cianelli.eu
Tue Nov 6 07:09:55 EET 2012

Hi,

 My setup:
Dovecot 2 latest, installed to replace courrier IMAP, and off course configured with the dot separator and all folder under INBOX.*.

The problem:
My phone was driving me mad during the test, due that it will only recognize Inbox.

How found the solution:
I've started sniffing IMAP traffic on my server and ended up with one difference:
On courier it ask for namespace, on dovecot it won't.

 I gives a better look, and noticed that courier show namespace capability on prelogin banner, adding it too solved the problem.

Reason:
Android ICS stock client seems do not honor the capability gived after the login.

Request:
Maybe is possible to put namespace capability in prelogin banner for the next version?
That will solve trouble with a setup like the mine and android stock email client.

Thank you,
Best regards
Sent from Galaxy Nexus