[Dovecot] Folder layout after Cyrus to Dovecot migration

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Fri Nov 16 11:33:29 EET 2012

# dovecot --version
1.2.15

We're trying to migrate a server from Cyrus to Dovecot, and we're mostly
there.

On Cyrus, the folder layout in the MUA is:

INBOX
 subfolder
 subfolder
Sent
Drafts
Queue
Trash

Users cannot create sibling folders to the Inbox, only subfolders (and
sub-subfolders, etc). We've replicated that with:

mail_location =
 maildir:/shared/imapmail/users/%u:INBOX=/shared/imapmail/users/%u:LAYOUT=fs

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = "INBOX/"
   inbox = yes
}

...however, the Sent/Drafts/Queue/Trash folders are now subfolders of
Inbox. Cyrus seems to default to the above layout (at least, I can't find
anywhere that defines it). There are no special settings in the MUA to
achieve the abovev. Is there a way of replicating the above within
Dovecot? We can probably go to V2 if we have to, but 1.2.15 would be
preferable.

Thanks,
Keith