[Dovecot] couple questions about dovecot

Raan Young raan at graand-visions.com
Sun Nov 18 00:31:26 EET 2012

I am attempting to migrate an ancient IMAP server to Dovecot 2.0.9 running
on CentOS 6.3, while trying to minimize the impact on users.  Most are using
Outlook.

I have everything working, but have run into a couple of problems, neither
horrible, but both weird.  It started when I noticed Outlook shows the
.subscriptions file in the folder listing.  I figured out a way to prevent
that (see below), but then decided to attempt the same tactic to move the
.imap index structure out of the folder tree and ran into an interesting
side-effect.

The .subscriptions issue would seem to be a bug, since the documentation I
found implies Dovecot should be hiding it from list requests - as it does
for the .imap index structure.  I made a workaround by using the below
mail_location setting.  This puts the .subscriptions file above the imap
folder structure and hence outside the list scope.

mail_location = mbox:~/imap:INBOX=~/mbox:CONTROL=~:INDEX=~/.imap

You'll note I have also moved the .imap index.  This works, but the full
path to the index files has extra layers of .imap.  For example, if a folder
tree of imap/A/B/C/D exists, where D is the actual mbox format message file,
then the index files are stored in .imap/A/B/C/.imap/D.  Don't know if this
is a bug or I'm misunderstanding something.

Can you provide any insight or better solutions for either issue?

Some clients are also using iPhones and/or roundcubemail for web access.
Those do not have the .subscriptions issue.

Raan