[Dovecot] IMAP proxy - can it detect parodying to itself?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Mon Nov 26 16:24:38 EET 2012

Hi all,

I have some IMAP servers fronted with separate perdition processes, and it would be ideal if I could collapse this down to having dovecot do both the IMAP proxying and the IMAP serving at the same time on the same IP addresses.

One of the fields in my LDAP entries contains the canonical name of the server that hosts their mailbox, and if I follow the manual at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields#LDAP I could add the host field to enable proxying.

My question is whether dovecot has the ability to notice whether dovecot is being asked to proxy to itself, in other words the value of "host" is the current dovecot server, and when this happens, ignore the proxy and just be a straight IMAP server, because the user has connected to the right box already.

Is this possible?

Regards,
Graham