[Dovecot] mdbox corruption

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Fri Nov 30 08:03:36 EET 2012

Trying to clean up the last of the corruption caused by my own
stupidity.  I now have two mailboxes for one user that give errors such as:

doveadm(fax at amfes.com): Error:
zlib.read(/var/mail/amfes.com/fax/mdbox/storage/m.9): gz trailer has
wrong CRC value at 20065618
doveadm(fax at amfes.com): Error:
read(/var/mail/amfes.com/fax/mdbox/storage/m.9) failed: Invalid argument
(uid=238)
doveadm(fax at amfes.com): Error:
zlib.read(/var/mail/amfes.com/fax/mdbox/storage/m.9): corrupted data at
20145217
[...]
doveadm(fax at amfes.com): Error:
read(/var/mail/amfes.com/fax/mdbox/storage/m.20) failed: Invalid
argument (uid=5155)
doveadm(fax at amfes.com): Error:
zlib.read(/var/mail/amfes.com/fax/mdbox/storage/m.20): corrupted data at
24779604
doveadm(fax at amfes.com): Error: Cached message size smaller than expected
(1259 < 1260)
doveadm(fax at amfes.com): Error: Corrupted index cache file
/var/mail/amfes.com/fax/mdbox/mailboxes/INBOX/2010/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index.cache:
Broken physical size for mail UID 5158

'doveadm force-resync' does not appear to fix these.  There appear to be
only the two mdbox files affected and I see about 40 errors. I would
prefer to salvage as much as possible of these.  What options do I
have?  Do a dsync to another location and take whatever I get?
--
Daniel