[Dovecot] Maildir conversion

Aristidis Fesarlis fesarlis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 12:22:43 EET 2012

Hi all,

I am using Dovecot 1.2.7, and trying to do my first Mbox to Maildir
conversion. So I created a small script:

> #!/bin/bash
>
> ls > userlist.txt
>
> for i in `cat userlist.txt`; do
>         echo "---------------------";
>         echo "Converting user $i...";
>         echo "---------------------";
>
>         su - $i -s /bin/bash -c "/opt/scripts/mb2md.pl -s mail -R";
>         su - $i -s /bin/bash -c "/opt/scripts/mb2md.pl -m -s
> /var/mail/$i";
>         su - $i -s /bin/bash -c "cp ~$i/mail/.subscriptions
> ~$i/Maildir/subscriptions";
> done
>
> rm -f userlist.txt

I would like some help with the following:

1. Trying it, I get multiple warnings for some mailboxes like this:
> "WARNING: UID from X-UID: header too low. Ignoring it

Is this a problem? Or I can ignore it?

2. I understand that I also have to instruct my MDA (procmail) to
deliver mail to the new location. I found that I have to create an
/etc/procmailrc with the following line:

> DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

My question is: Some users have their own .procmailrc file inside their
home directory, to filter mail etc. Their file does not contain the
above statement. Would the default procmailrc file be processed for them
as well? Or their file takes precedence, causing the default file not to
be processed at all?

Thank you