[Dovecot] Dovecot configuration and question about IP trusted

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Fri Oct 5 21:01:13 EEST 2012

Hi,
> 'm trying to tighten the security a little bit and added in dovecot.conf

> login_trusted_networks = 192.168.1.0/30
> Then restarted Dovecot
>

> My client has the IP 192.168.1.20 and it's still able to retrieve emails. I expected it to be forbidden. Am I missing something ?

My interpretation of the documentation indicates that the trusted
network setting causes certain authentication and security checks to be
bypassed if a computer is in the trusted network, and to not bypass
those authentication and security checks if the computer is not in the
trusted range.  I see nothing indicating this setting will "forbid"
anything...

> I feel that Dovecot is slow. I'm doing my test with my iphone as an imap client.
> Test 1: I retrieve a mail on a remote server provided by a hosting company, it takes 2 seconds
> Test 2: I retrieve a mail on my server which is on my LAN, the mail includes a few letters in the subject and a few letters in the body. The action takes about 8 seconds.
> It's quite subtule to measure so first I would like to know if Dovecot tries to do a dns reverse lookup or something like that. And it would explain the overhead.

I don't know about the reverse lookup, but this sounds like a caching
issue to me.  http://wiki2.dovecot.org/IndexFiles

--
Computerisms
Bob Miller