[Dovecot] Shared Squat index for public mailboxes

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Oct 10 10:49:33 EEST 2012

Am 10.10.2012 09:29, schrieb Frerich Raabe:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Dovecot 1.2.17 for serving mail via IMAP as well as for
> providing access to a mailing list archive. The archive is implemented
> as a public read-only mailbox with per-user index files (i.e. the \Seen
> flags are per-user).

i guess better upgrade to 2.1.x
first

> I recently enbled the Squat plugin to accelerate searches in the message
> bodies and noticed that every user (I'm using a virtual user setup) gets
> his own dovecot.index.search and dovecot.index.search.uids copies.
>
> Is it possible to share those files among all users of the system? The
> squat plugin appears to store the search indices among the other index
> files (as explained on http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Squat) no
> matter what; I considered storing a central copy of the index files
> somewhere and then creating symlinks for all users. It should be ok as
> far as file-permissions go since all mail is owned by a single vmail
> system user, but I wonder whether the indices are really the same (I
> noticed their md5 checksums differ) and whether there may be file
> locking issues in case two users search message bodies simultaneously.
>
> Can anybody shed some light?

after upgrade
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Lucene
may be better choice

this info might help

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation

---snip
Index files

Index files are by default stored under the same directory as mails.
With maildir they are stored in the actual maildirs, with mbox they are
stored under .imap/ directory. You may want to change the index file
location if you're using NFS or if you're setting up shared mailboxes.

You can change the index file location by adding :INDEX=<path> to
mail_location. For example:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/indexes/%u
--snip

after upgrade come back, ask again, or meanwhile Timo gives better advice
--
Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer