[Dovecot] /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb failed

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Oct 14 17:24:22 EEST 2012

thefantaman wrote:
> I work on test server and if I send an email on log i read
>
>  lda: Error: userdb lookup: connect(/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb) failed:
> Permission denied (euid=8135(vmail) egid=8135(vmail) missing +r perm:
> /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb, euid is not dir owner)
>
>  unix_listener auth-userdb {
>     mode = 0600
>     user = root
>     group = root
>   }
> }

The problem is that LDA (local delivery agent or lmtp service)
is not able to look up the destination mailbox in userdb.

The socket /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb is currently only
readable or writable by user root since mode is set to 0600,
not readable or writable by other groups.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA#Virtual_users

You'll need to set up a auth-userdb socket for dovecot-lda so it
knows where to find mailboxes for the users. LDA is running under
the virtual mailbox user and group "vmail", so you need to grant
this user or group access to /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb.

You could do this by using group memberships and set mode = 0660
or simply make it world-readable-writable with mode = 0666:

unix_listener auth-userdb {
   mode = 0666
   user = root
   group = root