[Dovecot] Dovecot Hangs while mutile users download mail for same account using pop3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 16 03:15:05 EEST 2012

On 8.10.2012, at 18.12, Robert JR wrote:

> I have a weird problem in dovecot, Dovecot Hangs while multiple users download mail for same account using pop3
>
> Three persons use 1 same email , and three of them use outlook express to check
> That specific mail .. Also some times one of the three users check the mail for this
> Account using imap (squirrel mail)

Make sure you have pop3_lock_session=no and..

> to=<sales at domain.com>, orig_to=<sales at domain.,com>, relay=local, delay=357, delays=338/0.01/0/19, dsn=4.2.0, status=deferred (cannot update mailbox /var/mail/sales for user sales. unable to lock for exclusive access: Resource temporarily unavailable)

The problem may simply be that you're using mbox format. POP3 protocol itself wasn't meant for simultaneous access (it's actually disallowed by the RFC) and with mbox format Dovecot optimizes it in a way that probably locks the mailbox exclusively for the whole duration of the session.