[Dovecot] Maildir hardlinks

Benedetto Vassallo benedetto.vassallo at unipa.it
Tue Oct 16 10:11:53 EEST 2012

Def. Quota Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> On 4.10.2012, at 16.00, Benedetto Vassallo wrote:
>
>> All works fine, but with the new version it seems that dovecot
>> don't do hardlinks when deliver a message to multiple users.
>
> The hard linking is done only when the directory permissions match.
>
>> mail_location = maildir:~/MailDir:LAYOUT=fs
>>
>> I tryed using lmtp directly issuing 'telnet localhost 24' and
>> sending a test message to 3 recipients.
>> Then issuing a 'ls -il' in the "new" directory of that users, I saw
>> the inode was not the same.
>
> What are the permissions of the MailDir directory for user1/user2?
>
> ls -ld /home/user1/MailDir
> ls -ld /home/user2/MailDir

Thank you for your reply.
They are different groups:

drwxr-xr-x 9 user1 grp1 4096 15 ott 14:52 /home/user1/MailDir/
drwxr-xr-x 5 user2 grp2 4096  4 ott 23:43 /home/user2/MailDir/
drwxr-xr-x 10 user3 grp3 4096 15 ott 14:52 /home/user3/MailDir/

I tryed to issue:
chgrp -R mail /home/user1/MailDir
chgrp -R mail /home/user2/MailDir
chgrp -R mail /home/user3/MailDir