[Dovecot] Search for substring in header?

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Tue Oct 16 12:35:42 EEST 2012

on Tue Oct 16 2012, Frerich Raabe <raabe-AT-froglogic.com> wrote:

> Am 10/16/2012 12:20 AM, schrieb Dave Abrahams:
>>
>> on Mon Oct 15 2012, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz-AT-curecanti.org> wrote:

>>> Lucene for sure does not support subtext searching.  Squat used to...
>>> but IIRC things may have changed for v2.1.  Try the wiki.
>>
>> Sorry, but what does "try the wiki" mean?
>> Which indexer are you using, that successfully finds the substring match?
>
> I don't know what Michael had in mind, but I also seemed to recall
> that the 'Squat' plugin used to be the only FTS plugin which suppotred
> substring matches. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Squat
> explains:
>
> "The main difference between Squat indexes and the others is that
> Squat provides support for substring searches, while pretty much all
> other FTS indexes support only matching from the beginning of
> words. By strictly reading the IMAP RFC it requires substring
> matching, so to optimize regular TEXT and BODY searches you must use
> Squat with Dovecot v2.0. [..] However, almost all other commonly used
> IMAP servers no longer care about this requirement, so Dovecot v2.1
> also no longer makes this distinction."
>
> I'm not sure how to read this, but I can imagine (and maybe that's
> what Michael was hinting at) that the Squat plugin for Dovecot >= 2.1
> no longer supports substring matches as required by the IMAP RFC
> whereas previous versions do.

Well, it worked for me in 2.1.6 and 2.1.9.
However, http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS claims squat is "obsolete"
in 2.1.x, my colleague is reporting (to me) crashes with squat during
indexing, and Timo just posted that squat "seems to be completely broken
for some reason."

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training