[Dovecot] LMTP userdb lookup

list at airstreamcomm.net list at airstreamcomm.net
Tue Oct 16 23:57:45 EEST 2012

On 10/4/12 9:58 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 4.10.2012, at 17.41, list at airstreamcomm.net wrote:
>
>>> protocol lmtp {
>>>    userdb {
>>>      ..
>>>    }
>>> }
>>> protocol !lmtp {
>>>    userdb {
>>>      ..
>>>    }
>>> }
>>>

>> Forgot to mention I am running 2.0.17.
> The above works in v2.1.
>
>> And I am getting the following error:
>>
>>    auth: Fatal: No passdbs specified in configuration file. PLAIN
>>    mechanism needs one
>>

>>  From a previous post it appears that Dovecot cannot run without a global lookups specified:
>>
>>    http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-March/064407.html
>>
>> Per the suggestion in the old post I created an empty passwdfile and included it in the auth-passwdfile which seems to have alleviated the issue, however this seems like a sub-optimal solution.  Is this still the case, or is there a way to tell Dovecot that there is no global lookups?
> The !lmtp version avoids that fatal problem. So the solution is: upgrade.
Timo,

I upgraded to 2.1 and configured as recommended, however I am still
getting an error:

auth: Fatal: No passdbs specified in configuration file. PLAIN mechanism
needs one

Doveconf -n:

# 2.1.1: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-279.5.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
auth_debug = yes
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_debug = yes
mail_fsync = always
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_nfs_index = yes
mail_nfs_storage = yes
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
mmap_disable = yes
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 143
   }
}
service lmtp {
   unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
}
service pop3-login {
   inet_listener pop3 {
     port = 110
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/mail.crt
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/mail.key
protocol !lmtp {
   passdb {
     args = /etc/dovecot/imappop.conf.ext
     driver = sql