[Dovecot] Difference between Indexing and Rescan in FTS

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Oct 17 05:44:19 EEST 2012

On 10/16/2012 6:14 PM, Fred Kilbourn wrote:
> I've had squat running on dovecot 2.0 and have been updating all users
> mailbox indexes nighty via cron with this command:
>
> doveadm -v search -A text xyzzyx
>

> I've just updated to 2.1 and I'm migrating to lucene indexes, but reading
> the documentation I'm having a hard time understanding the semantic
> differences between indexing and rescanning.
>

> If I were to continue to run an all user all mailbox index every night,
> would that be appropriate?
>

> Would running this every night avoid the need to ever rescan?

2 sets of indexes.

dovecot indexes
FTS indexes

Performing the cron search will update the FTS indexes, although you
should read up on 2.1's doveadm index command. The dovecot indexes
should stay in sync. However, if they do lose track of the FTS indexes,
you can do a rescan to sync them back up. Except for corruption or index
changes made outside of dovecot, the two sets of indexes should stay in
sync.

Jack