[Dovecot] Difference between Indexing and Rescan in FTS

Fred Kilbourn fred at fredk.com
Wed Oct 17 09:26:32 EEST 2012

Okay, you've clarified that for me.

I understand that rescan isn't a nightly task, but could be run every now
and then periodically.  How often might be appropriate if I wanted to do
this as a maintenance task?  Once a month?

Lastly, I'm trying to use the index command instead of the search command,
but I can't figure out how to make it index every mailbox for every user.
Is there a wildcard that can be used for the mailbox?  Or do I need to
iterate all the mailboxes with one command and run index however many times
for each inbox?

Thanks for your help