[Dovecot] how to best import Evolution/Thunderbird mail into dovecot?

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Wed Oct 17 20:57:38 EEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 16:51 +0200, Dennis Guhl wrote:
> > First thing I tried was to simply copy mail within Evolution (i.e.
> > dragging&dropping it from the local folders to the IMAP folders from
> > dovecot).
> This seems to be the smartest idea.
Well as I've mentioned... on looses the info in the From_ lines (that is
the RCPT TO address and the date of arrival) because Evolution does not
correctly migrated them (actually I'm not sure whether IMAP would allow
that).

> > - that preserves the status from Evolution, but doesn't restore that
> > from Thunderbird
> Why not use TB to copy the emails from your 'TB mboxes' to Dovecot?
> This way I moved around 25 GiB of emails from >> 50 mbox files,
> created with TB 3.6 way down to some 0.x beta, to Dovecot -- without
> any issues I could recall.
Sorry... too late for that... cause back in the "old" days when I went
away from TB I didn't notice that the used other mail headers for their
statuses... so now everthing is already mixed together.

> If they bug you remove them with sed or awk or perl or python or ...
Yeah... but sed alone is not enough... cause such lines may also appear
in the body... and I mustn't remove them...
So in principle I'm looking for a smart parser of mbox which already
gives me headers and body and I can modify either.

Cheers,
Chris.