[Dovecot] Dovecot: pipe() failed: Too many open files

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Oct 18 05:13:25 EEST 2012

I'm using RHEL6 instead of ubuntu, but check the startup scripts. In
RHEL's case, the following file is sourced, so I updated it instead of
the startup scripts.

cat /etc/sysconfig/dovecot
# Here you can specify your dovecot command line options.
#
#OPTIONS=""
ulimit -n 4096
ulimit -u 5120

In addition, I had to also up the max allowed processes in the dovecot
config. 2.x and 1.x are different on this.

http://wiki1.dovecot.org/LoginProcess <-1.x method

Jack