[Dovecot] Question about salted hashes

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Oct 19 21:50:28 EEST 2012

Am 19.10.2012 20:47, schrieb Tobias Maffert:
> Hello.
>
> I'm switching from b1gmail to my own setup which consists of
> Postfix+Dovecot+MySQL (and maybe VBoxAdm). There are two problems: -
> b1gmail is using unsalted MD5 hashes. Is there any good way to make my
> new setup backward compatible? So I don't have to force all of my 50k
> users to change their password. - How do I change my setup to salted
> SHA256 (or an even better algorithm). And how do I make the hashes
> compatible between Postfix, Dovecot, MySQL (and maybe VBoxAdm)?
>
> My system:
>
> Debian Squeeze
> Postfix version: 2.7.1
> Dovecot version: 1.2.15

besides your question

you REALLY do not want to START with 1.2.15
while dovecot-2.1.10 is the recent version

postfix is somehow OK but recent is postfix-2.9.4

these outdated versions usually results in many
questions on mailing-lists because several howtos
do not work or bugs fixed since years are still there