[Dovecot] spamc can't seem to call /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver

Bill Shirley Bill at KnoxvilleChristian.org
Wed Oct 24 19:28:48 EEST 2012

On 10/24/2012 12:09 PM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 24.10.2012 17:47, schrieb Bill Shirley:

>>> long time ago i tested this with dovecot lda postfix master.cf
>>> with a total virtual setup
>>>
>>> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>>>     flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/bin/spamc -e
>>> /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d ${recipient}
>>>
>>> but i strongly do not recommand this !!!
>>>
>>> use spamass-milter, amavis etc with  dovecot lmtp
>>> as described on many sites
>>>

>>> Best Regards
>>> MfG Robert Schetterer
>>>
>> Can you get per-user Spamassassin configs this way?
>>
>> Why user=vmail:vmail?  Is this for virtual domains?  I didn't think we
>> were talking about them.
>>
>> Instead of strongly recommending against this, why not elaborate on the
>> problems with using spamc in the mailbox_command?
>>
>> Bill
>>
> Hi Bill, you missed
>
> my
>
> "i tested this with dovecot lda"
> in hope you may adapt the syntax to your needs by your own
>
> here are the recommanded setups
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedSpamdInPostfix
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix
>
> --snip
> mailbox_command = /usr/bin/spamc -e /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
> --snipend
>
> by the way using dovecot lmtp and i.e amavis or spamass-milter/clamav-milter
>
> might be better choice in many ways
>

> Best Regards
> MfG Robert Schetterer

I'm saying I have a WORKING setup (local and virtual) where spamc runs
and then uses dovecot deliver.  spamd uses spamassassin per-user configs.

master.cf has (caution, line wraps around in email):
vdovecot        unix    -       n       n       -       5       pipe
         flags=DRuh user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/bin/spamc -p 784 -u
${recipient} -e /usr/lib64/dovecot/deliver -d ${user}@${domain} -a
{recipient} -f ${sender} -n -m ${extension}

main.cf has:
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/spamc -u "$USER" -e
/usr/lib64/dovecot/deliver -a "$RECIPIENT" -f "$SENDER" -m "$EXTENSION"
virtual_transport = vdovecot
vdovecot_destination_recipient_limit    = 1

I don't understand why you strongly recommend against using the
mailbox_command.  Is there a security risk here?

I've read all the howtos.  There are many ways to setup a mail server.
That's the beauty of postfix, spamassassin, dovecot, etc; you can make
it do what you want.  Yes, some setups are bad.

I am not the original poster.

Hope this clears things up,
Bill