[Dovecot] Locking /var/mail/user issue with postfix and dovecot

Robert JR roundcube222 at alaadin.org
Thu Oct 25 10:23:29 EEST 2012

On 2012-10-25 06:57, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 10/24/2012 3:04 PM, Robert JR wrote:
>
>> I have a question regarding mailbox locking and hope any one can
>> help
>> me to better understanding the locking of mbox My Postfix lock
>> option
>> is fcntl dotlock mailbox_delivery_lock = fcntl, dotlock
>> virtual_mailbox_lock = fcntl, dotlock My Dovecot lock option is
>> fcntl
>> only mbox_write_locks = fcntl mbox_read_locks = fcntl
>
> <snip>
>
> Postfix is delivering the mail to dovecot. This is done via the
> deliver
> program or lmtp which are pipes, not files. Thus, why is Postfix
> attempting to write files in the user's mail directory?
>
> You write new mail to the mailbox file with either Dovecot or
> Postfix,
> not both. Fix that problem and the locking problem disappears.

Stan, sorry but you didnot understand my question at all, dovecot in
this
case is reading the mailbox file while user downloading the mail and
not
WRITING. only postfix write when a mail arrives and DOVECOT only read
the
mail. And even if both write to the file, I have already set the
locking
option of both to FCNTL so no problem should happen. My question is
postfix
locking option is = FCNTL, DOTLOCK , and dovecot = FCNTL, if postfix
find a
file already FCNTL, why it dotlock the file 5 secs then remove the
dotlock
and say resource unaviable? why in the first place it dotlock the file,
althought it couldnot FCNTL it in the first place since it is FCNTL by
dovecot while reading the in the moment

Any help will be greatly appreciated.....
Regards

Robert.