[Dovecot] Locking /var/mail/user issue with postfix and dovecot

Robert JR roundcube222 at alaadin.org
Thu Oct 25 12:26:10 EEST 2012

On 2012-10-25 11:56, Dennis Guhl wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:23:29AM +0300, Robert JR wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> should happen. My question is postfix locking option is = FCNTL,
>> DOTLOCK , and dovecot = FCNTL, if postfix find a file already FCNTL,
>> why it dotlock the file 5 secs then remove the dotlock and say
>> resource
>> unaviable? why in the first place it dotlock the file, althought it
>> couldnot FCNTL it in the first place since it is FCNTL by dovecot
>> while
>> reading the in the moment
>
> You are on the wrong mailing list, this is no problem of Dovecot.
>
> Ask this question on postfix-users (maybe you are requested to show
> evidence of this behaviour).
>
> Dennis\

Thanks dennis for your reply.
But, This is also an dovecot issue, because how dovecot use the FCNTL
lock maybe different on how
Postfix use it , that's why i had to ask also here at dovecot mailist
this question.

I think This behavior is understood by any one already have experience
on how locking is made to /var/mail/files,
I am just trying to understand how/why it happened.

My question is postfix has locking option: FCNTL, DOTLOCK, and a file
is already FCNTL by dovecot, will postfix
Apply the DOTLOCK and continue try to FCNTL , althugh postfix already
found that the file is already FCNTL by dovecot.
So it shouldnot dotlock the mbx file untill it frist FCNTL the mailbox
after dovecot finished.

When i asked this question on irc postfix, they said that maybe FCNTL
is used in different option with dovecot and this
Might be the reason of the issue and recommended to ask here for help
..

I guess Timo will be able to respond to this on the spot ...

Thanks again.
Robert JR.