[Dovecot] Locking /var/mail/user issue with postfix and dovecot

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Oct 25 21:23:37 EEST 2012

On 10/25/2012 1:00 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Switch Postfix to use the Dovecot Local Deliver Agent (LDA) in place of
> the Postfix local/virtual delivery agent.  Using Dovecot LDA eliminates
> the file locking issue.  Thus it also increases throughput as lock
> latency is eliminated.  It also enables using all the Dovecot delivery
> plugins such as Sieve, Quota, anti-spam, etc.

I forgot to mention one very important feature of Dovecot LDA:

New messages delivered by Postfix are indexed by LDA as they are written
to the mailbox, flags updated at this time, etc.  Thus when a mailbox is
opened in an IMAP MUA, new messages are displayed instantly (I don't use
POP but it's probably faster as well).  With your current setup it can
take from a few to many seconds to show new mail, depending on message
count.  With LDA new message count seems to have no impact on the speed
of display.

--
Stan