[Dovecot] mail open slowly

Bernics Gábor | Penta Unió Zrt. bernics.gabor at penta.hu
Mon Oct 29 16:29:22 EET 2012

Thanks a lot to everybody

First step I will upgrade to dovecot2.

I will write my experiences.

"Running with fsync disabled is like
having sex with a Bangkok prostitute without a condom while juggling
chainsaws while driving drunk at 250kph at night without headlights."

:-)

Gabor

On 10/27/2012 6:58 AM, Bernics Gábor | Penta Unió Zrt. wrote:

use dovecot LDA (+sieve) with maildir. conf:
http://pastebin.com/9fhYD58g [1]

> Next time simply paste "dovecot
-n" output into your email.

> Assuming Dovecot is the only program
accessing the maildirs, try:

> maildir_very_dirty_syncs=yes
>
> That
may help some.

> It may not have been a factor in this case, but note
that when anyone is
> doing a full text search on a large mailbox on
this hardware with
> maildir you will see latency, and it is
unavoidable. Neither a single
> 7.2K SATA spindle nor md/RAID1 pair of
them, has enough seek capacity to
> service all the sector requests in a
timely fashion.

> Also, I noticed you disabled fsync. This is a very
very bad idea for a
> mail server. If you lose power, or suffer a
kernel/hardware/etc crash,
> you lose the Linux buffer cache contents.
Thus, you may lose emails
> that haven't been flushed to disk, and
possibly get index file
> corruption if mmap'd pages haven't been
flushed.

> Running with fsync disabled is like having sex with a
Bangkok prostitute
> without a condom while juggling chainsaws while
driving drunk at 250kph
> at night without headlights.
>
> fsync does
hurt write performance to a degree, especially with maildir
> storage,
but will likely be invisible on a small server with few
> users/light
load. And it will prevent potentially severe problems with
> file
corruption and/or lost emails.

Links:
------