[Dovecot] Out of memory/Managesieve

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 29 17:41:06 EET 2012

On 29.10.2012, at 17.23, Jim Knuth wrote:

> I have here a problem with managesieve. With the login about
> webmail (roundcube) comes here in the log:

You can always easily reproduce this? Can you get the network traffic logs between Roundcube and Dovecot and reproduce it by sending those same commands manually?

> --snip
> dovecot: managesieve-login: Fatal: pool_system_realloc(4294967296): Out of memory
> dovecot: managesieve-login: Fatal: master: service(managesieve-login): child 10157 returned error 83 (Out of memory (service managesieve-login { vsz_limit=1024 MB }, you may need to increase it))

Looks like there's a bug somewhere.. Doesn't it log a "raw backtrace"?

> --snap
> I've increased of 2048M and the same above.
> then with 4096 M happens the following
>
> --snip
> dovecot: managesieve-login: Panic: epoll_ctl(add, 61538840) failed: Bad file descriptor
> dovecot: managesieve-login: Fatal: master: service(managesieve-login): child 9777 killed with signal 6 (core dumps disabled)
> --snap

Probably related to the first error. It would be helpful to get gdb backtraces from both of them, although from the first one you couldn't without patching + recompiling Dovecot. But from the second one I think you can get a core dump with:

service managesieve-login {
  executable = managesieve-login -D
}

Then you can do something like:

gdb /usr/lib/dovecot/managesieve-login /var/run/dovecot/login/core
bt full