[Dovecot] mbox vs. maildir storage block waste

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Mon Oct 29 23:15:30 EET 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 23:06 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> There is of course mdbox also, which gives the best of both mbox and maildir (and some of its own new annoyances).
Thanks, Timo,... I forgot to mention that.

For me _personally_ two things speak against using it:

a) To be honest, "you must not lose the dbox index files, they can't be
regenerated without data loss"[0] made me a bit scared ;-)

b) ext* has no integrity checking (by hash sums) so I used to create my
own that puts SHA512 hashes into the inodes of files (as USER_XATTRS).
This of course, works only when you have a storage format where files
don't change anymore once written,... which can't work with formats
having multiple mails per file.

Thanks,
Chris.

btw: What are the actual advantages of sdbox over maildir?

[0] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox