[Dovecot] does dovecot interpret any mail headers specially with maildir?

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Mon Oct 29 23:20:27 EET 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 23:13 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > Great... and I expect that this ("no headers from the maildir files
> are
> > interpreted") applies also, when one "imports" mails the first time.
> >
> > With import I don't mean via IMAP, but plainly moving e.g. a maildir
> ++
> > tree under dovecots mail location.
>
> Yeah.
So that means: From a "security" point of view, when using maildir (!)
there's no need to remove such headers, cause dovcote ignores them (on
maildir) always. Right?!

I just wondered because when I looked through my mail archive (currently
as mentioned, under Evolution)... many emails already had X-UID and
X-IMAP* headers.... (set by the remote side, not by Evolution) ... and
in no case these should be able to mess around in my dovecot :)

> UIDs, UIDVALIDITY etc is preserved if you copy the dovecot-* files
> with it (which is a good idea to do).
I'll have a question on that too, but ask it under a separate mail in a
few minutes,.. cause it doesn't fit this thread anymore ;)

Thanks,
Chris.