[Dovecot] POLL: v2.2 to allow one mail over quota?

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Tue Oct 30 01:36:08 EET 2012

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> Currently if user is 1MB under quota and someone tries to deliver mail
> that is over 1MB, Dovecot rejects the mail. But smaller mails aren't
> rejected probably for days. So user might not even realize that they
> didn't receive one of the mails. Also having a user "almost over
> quota" is a rather strange state I think.

> So what do you think about v2.2 allowing delivery of one last mail
> even if it brings the user over quota? Except add a limit that if the
> message size is as much as the user's entire quota limit it wouldn't
> be added (or 50% or ..?). Also IMAP wouldn't allow this, since user
> would get an error anyway. I could make this also optional, but if
> nobody really wants to keep the old behavior there's really no point
> in adding the option.

Yes, please add this new option. If possible with configurable limit.

I'd rather have a user go directly over quota with one final mail than
have a situation where half the mails get delivered and the other half
is rejected.

>From a 1st level support stand point this new behavior is easier to
explain than the way it is now.

By looking into my new crytal ball I can see the following happening:

 A user with 300KBytes under his quota gets a mail with 500KBytes in
 size. This of course bounces. He is then called by the sender who
 complains about the full mailbox. The user then sends himself a test
 mail (Subject: Test, Body: Test) which is delivered, because it is
 rather small and fits inside the few bytes left. The user then is
 confused. (And I have to use some of my precious time to explain to the
 user the inner workings of the mail system. ;))

So I'd very much appreciate such an option.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.