[Dovecot] mbox vs. maildir storage block waste

Tue Oct 30 13:03:02 EET 2012

On 2012-10-29 4:54 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo at scientia.net>
wrote:
> In the end I probably changed my opinion.
> ~7GB of wasted block space for all my mails is actually quite a lot, but
> in days of cheap disk space it's acceptable.
> And with mbox one has IMHO the major disadvantage that mailservers
> (including dovecot) store some meta-data_in_  it (i.e. in the mails
> themselves) , which I don't like a lot.
> I still think about reports that mbox is much faster with full text
> search (which sounds reasonable)... but therefore one needs probably and
> database backend anyway.

What makes the most sense for me is to use mbox (or mdbox) for longer
term storage that you may be offloading to slower storage systems, and
use maildir (or sdbox) for the new mails...

Would work great as long as you have a reliable method for archiving
older mails out to your slower storage.

This is what I plan on doing someday...

--

Best regards,