[Dovecot] Marking all mail in one folder of public mailbox as read

Frerich Raabe raabe at froglogic.com
Wed Oct 17 15:44:12 EEST 2012

Hi,

I'm running Dovecot 1.2.17 on FreeBSD 9 to serve an archive of a few
internal mailinglists. The archive is implemented using a public namespace:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
}

namespace public {
   separator = /
   prefix = Lists/
   location =
maildir:/home/vmail/lists/Maildir:CONTROL=~/Maildir/lists:INDEX=~/Maildir/lists
   subscriptions = no
}

As you can see, the CONTROL/INDEX files are stored per-user to allow
private \Seen flags. The different mailinglists are all sent to the
'lists' user which has a Sieve script to file them into different
folders, so I have directories on my harddisk like

   /home/vmail/lists/Maildir/.somelist
   /home/vmail/lists/Maildir/.anotherlist

Now, I'd like to mark the mail in *one* of those folders as \Seen by
default. If the INDEX files weren't per-user, it would simply be a
matter of using 'addflag "\Seen";' in the Sieve script of the lists
user. Alas, this has no effect.

Hence my question - how can I have the mail of just one mailinglist get
marked as "read" for all users?

So far, the only option I see is to add a second public namespace, with
a different prefix - and this namespace doesn't use private
CONTROL/INDEX files. However, I'd like to keep using the "Lists" prefix
if possible to avoid too many changes to the clients.

Frerich Raabe - raabe at froglogic.com
www.froglogic.com - Multi-Platform GUI Testing