[Dovecot] Can Dovecot authenticate against an external email server?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Oct 23 23:51:39 EEST 2012

Just wondering if anyone has done this.

I have a spam filtering service where I am now storing spam for users I
filter for. It's a filter and forward service so I don't control the
recipient's email server.

What I would like to do somehow is have the user enter their email
address and password and then look up their POP/IMAP server from a
database and try to authenticate from it. If sucessful then the user
will be able to access their stored spam using Dovecot and Squirrelmail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance