[Dovecot] IMAP proxy between Office 365 client/Sun Messaging Server

John Dalbec jpdalbec at ysu.edu
Wed Oct 31 17:15:56 EET 2012

I would like to be able to migrate messages from existing end-user
accounts on Sun Messaging Server to Office 365 using an administrator
login and password.  Unfortunately the migration tool for Office 365
doesn't support SASL AUTHENTICATE PLAIN login.

The online documentation I've found suggests that I should be able to
configure dovecot as an IMAP proxy and have it log in to Sun Messaging
Server with AUTHENTICATE PLAIN and encode_base64("user\0admin\0adminpw")
configure dovecot to run only the IMAP proxy if possible.  I was
thinking of setting all accounts to use the same (strong) password in
the proxy.

Would anyone be willing to share a sample configuration?

Thanks,
John Dalbec
ellucian Luminis system administrator
Youngstown State University