[Dovecot] Error: Internal quota calculation error

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Wed Oct 31 21:15:57 EET 2012

Hello,

I'm using 2.1.7 with seive and mysql quotas. We had an outage the other
day where the database server where quotas are stored was not available
for a short period of time.

In dovecot land, the following types of errors occured in that scenario:

Oct 26 22:19:01 grosbeak dovecot: lda(example at riseup.net): Error: Internal quota calculation error
Oct 26 22:19:01 grosbeak dovecot: lda(example at riseup.net): Error: sieve: msgid=<20122132765181x.ABCCE457 at example.com>: failed to store into mailbox 'Trash': Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2012-10-26 22:19:01]
Oct 26 22:19:01 grosbeak dovecot: lda(example at riseup.net): Error: sieve: script /maildir/e/example/.dovecot.sieve failed with unsuccessful implicit keep (user logfile /maildir/e/example/.dovecot.sieve.log may reveal additional details)

I expect that there would be quota calculation errors as dovecot could
not reach the database server, but what worried me was the 'failed to
store into mailbox' message from sieve. The 'Trash' mailbox in this
particular seive script is the correct location for the message to be
filed into, but the worrisome message is the 'failed with unsuccessful
implicit keep'.

I looked through all the message-ids that reported this error and I
found that the messages were properly delivered in the end, so this
might be some issue interacting between sieve, dovecot and quota and
just causing a scary message that can be ignored?

thanks for any information you can provide, dovecot is great!

micah