[Dovecot] Special Folder Mocking

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sun Sep 2 23:32:24 EEST 2012

Eddy,

* Eddy Ilg|univation <eddy.ilg at univation.de>:
> Dear Dovecot List,
>

> probably everyone knows the problem that different clients use
> different names for "Sent", "Trash" and so on.
>
> A simple question:
> Isn't it possible to advertise one imap folder with different names,
> depending on the client?
> E.g. if the client is Outlook, show the "Sent" folder as "Sent
> Elements" (translated from german) and if the client is Thunderbird,
> show the "Sent" folder as "Sent"?

the answer is the IMAP extension "SPECIAL USE".

We sponsored SPECIAL USE in Dovecot and in Thunderbird. Timo implemented it in
Dovecot autumn 2011 and Ben Bucksch added SPECIAL USE support in Mozilla
shortly after. Sadly Mozilla has decided to turn Thunderbird down - i.e. hand
it over to some 'community' - and I am not sure our contribution it will be
released as Mozilla claims they will not add any new features anymore.

IF they would you could tell Dovecot to name the SPECIAL USE folders like
Outlook expects them and Thunderbird to map its folder on top.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666