[Dovecot] Mailbox aliases

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Sep 3 00:01:16 EEST 2012

Am 02.09.2012 17:32, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> The main disadvantage is that clients would still see two different mailboxes, and some would download contents from both of them.
>
> I was thinking about creating some wiki page which could list the best working configurations and also a client list, which would specify if it supports SPECIAL-USE and what the default mailbox names it uses are.

Hi Timo, funny, yesterday i had problems with this, i am using virtual
plugin setup with pop3 also disallow i.e imap Sent/Trash/Drafts download
via imap, but allow Junk imap folder to be downloaded via pop3
cause i have a global sieve rule storing, that spam tagged mail is going
direct in Junk folder, that usally cant be overided by users.
This should avoid redirecting spam tagged mail via sieve by users in prime.

This works nice.

My users use all kind of os and mail clients typical ISP Setup

Default webmail Horde Imp layout is configured for thunderbirds default
imap folder layout, also thunderbird is announced to be the supported
mail client via the faq help site, not because its the best client
appearing, only for ,that it is installable in all major os, so debug is
possible widly

In the help site and pictured welcome pdf mail
there are setups shown for all major mail clients, as outlook,
thunderbird , winmail.

Not for Apple cause i havent got the chance to make screenshots from it yet.

I also have active sync via z-push so setup in android mail app is on
the help site too.

So far so good. With Problems that i.e outlook is very different in
handling imap folder setup through its versions

As more and more people going to use mobile, stuff get more complicated
As one user uses k9mail android vers 4.11 ( this is recent ), which
cant do imap special use yet, so a i.e german Sent Folder  ( Gesendet )
is created auto by the k9 client, same user does pop3 via outlook
so the problem appeared that he send mail with copy in the "Gesendet"
from K9 mail android  folder ,but this Folder wasnt disallowed in the
pop3 virtual layout , so a loop appeared.
I had now to disallow folder "Gesendet/Papierkorb/Entwürfe" for pop3.

Upcomming Versions K9 Mail 4.2 can do imap special use, and it works
by testing

Only small real World example.
I investigated little, and found neither Thunderbird Outlook or Apple
is supporting imap special use yet ( seems its on the road for
thunderbird ), perhaps someone knows more about this.

My meaning to this theme is, its simply teribble for 21 century mail
that there is no recommended default imap folder layout for all
mailclients, imap special use looks promising , hopefully it will wide
spread

Goal:
Configure mail should be done auto only with emailadress and password
including default imap folder layout and match trough all major mail
imap clients.

So example wiki site for configure dovecot relate to major imap clients
and their versions behave in default imap folder layout and support of
imapspecial use would be extrem helpfull, in fact yesterday i searched
about that.

--
Mfg
Best Regards