[Dovecot] Custom auth process in dovecot 2

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 4 23:05:55 EEST 2012

On 4.9.2012, at 23.01, Richard Platel wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade from dovecot-1.1.x to 2.1.7.
>
> We have our own custom auth server process (because we want to do our own password validation and for other reasons) that listens on a UNIX domain socket and speaks the dovecot auth protocol.
>
> In dovecot 1.1 we could configure this with
>
> auth external {
>  socket connect {
>    master {
>      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth.sock
>    }
>  }
> }
>
> as per http://wiki.dovecot.org/MainConfig
>
> I haven't been able to figure out how to do this in 2.1.7, is it possible?

Possibility a) Disable the regular service auth, something like:

service auth {
  unix_listener login/login {
    mode = 0
  }
}

and then just create the /var/run/dovecot/login/login socket yourself. You may need/want to do this for other auth-related sockets too.

Possibility b) Tell login processes to connect to your socket instead:

service imap-login {
  executable = imap-login newlogin
}