[Dovecot] thunderbird not connecting

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 01:22:31 EEST 2012

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012, Charles Marcus wrote

> On 2012-09-05 6:23 AM, cc maco young <bangkokmaco at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Stan Hoeppner<stan at hardwarefreak.com>wrote:
>>> What does TB activity manager say?
>
>> Activity Manager is blank
>>
>> as an update, went to Claws email client.  it had enough feedback and  gave
>> me enough ways to tweak - got everything going.
>>
>> went back to TB.  recognized server, but no username/password.  perhaps
>> it's not letting the full email - which is the user name - through.  but
>> who knows?  no feedback.
>
> You're looking at the wrong end.
>
> You need to be looking at your SERVER logs, not the Clients.

Actually, I think he did supply that and it showed imap and pop3 not
getting any auth information.

> dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts): rip=223.205.150.234, > lip=xxx.xx.xx.xx
> dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts): rip=223.205.150.234, lip=xxx.xx.xx.xx

There are other log options to verbosely log auth and ssl information, and
that might help.

I frequently see the above log messages when the client and the server
get their security protocol (SSL/TLS) and ports crossed up (i.e. trying
IMAP/SSL on port 143 or trying IMAP/TLS on port 993).  Try fiddling
with TB's setting here and see if anything shakes loose.

You can also use openssl and simulate the server end and maybe that will
shed light on the situation:

 	(You'll have to read the man page yourself to find all the options)
 	openssl s_server -accept 993 ...

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>