[Dovecot] thunderbird not connecting

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Sep 6 05:36:02 EEST 2012

On 9/5/2012 6:02 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2012-09-05 6:23 AM, cc maco young <bangkokmaco at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Stan
>> Hoeppner<stan at hardwarefreak.com>wrote:
>>> What does TB activity manager say?
>
>> Activity Manager is blank
>>
>> as an update, went to Claws email client.  it had enough feedback and
>> gave
>> me enough ways to tweak - got everything going.
>>
>> went back to TB.  recognized server, but no username/password.  perhaps
>> it's not letting the full email - which is the user name - through.  but
>> who knows?  no feedback.
>
> You're looking at the wrong end.
>
> You need to be looking at your SERVER logs, not the Clients.

He'd already checked the server logs, posted some of them, and found no
useful information.  Checking the client log is the next logical step,
whether it turns out to contain useful information or not.

In a client/server application, instructing someone to only check half
the logs is bad advice Charles.  Useful troubleshooting information can
be found in either, or both, depending on the circumstances and
operation that's failing.

--
Stan