[Dovecot] about postlogin in dovecot2

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Sep 7 23:46:50 EEST 2012

bmalik wrote:
> when i login to the server using pop3s,   i see in the dovecot log;
>
> @4000000050457dd9179c653c pop3-login: Info: Login: user=<test at byserver.net>,
> method=DIGEST-MD5, rip=192.168.12.220, lip=192.168.12.115, mpid=87395, TLS,
> session=<w8H1WtjISwDV7pbc>
>
> if i add my mail address into the users-with-forced-encryption file,
> i would not reach my account.
>
> i get an error;
> @4000000050457dd9183f542c pop3(test at byserver.net): Info: Post-login script
> denied access to user test at byserver.net
> whereas i connect to the account via pop3s
> if i remove my mail address from the users-with-forced-encryption
> there is no problem.
>
> my postlogin_pop3.sh;
> #!/usr/local/bin/bash
> if [ "$SECURED" == "secure" ]
> then
>   :# handle secure connections here
> else
>   :# handle insecure connections here
>   if grep -q "$USER" in /usr/local/etc/dovecot/users-with-forced-encryption
>   then
>     printf "* NO [ALERT] You are not allowed to connect without
> encryption\r\n"
>     exit 0
>   fi
> fi
> exec "$@"
> ###########
> there is also no problem related to SSL certificate
> what can be the issue ?

Can you log the value of "$SECURED" to a logfile (using "logger" tool),
and log a message in each of the conditional branches of your script,
so we can see which branch gets called?

Which error message do you get when you manually try to log into POP3S?

openssl s_client -connect ip:port
USER username
PASS password
QUIT