[Dovecot] Trouble implementing Antispam plug-in for Dovecot

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Mon Sep 10 22:19:05 EEST 2012

On 9/6/2012 1:56 PM, Ben Johnson wrote:

> On 9/6/2012 6:10 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 2012-09-05 6:20 PM, Ben Johnson <ben at indietorrent.org> wrote:
>>
>>> My configuration is Dovecot (1.2.9) + Sieve + SpamAssassin on Ubuntu
>> 10.04.
>>
>> 1.2.9 is really old... you really need to upgrade to a recent/stable
>> version.
>
> Thanks, Charles. I do see your point. One of the challenges we face in
> this regard is that we're using a Long-Term-Support version of Ubuntu
> (10.04) and 1.2.9 is the latest package in the OS's repository.
>
> That said, we could upgrade manually, but this is a production server on
> which downtime must be minimized, and we all know how unexpected issues
> arise during installation (even when the procedure is tested in a
> closely equivalent development environment).
>
>>> I followed the Wiki article at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Antispam
>>
>> That is for version 2.x (note the wiki2)...
>
> Noted; thank you.
>
>> I recommend going ahead and upgrading to the latest 2.1.9 and starting
>> over.
>>

> Maybe I'll wait until we upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 to fiddle
> with this further.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Ben

So, I setup a development environment that mimics the production
environment in question.

Must I install Dovecot from source to install Antispam from source?

Because I installed Dovecot using a back-ported package (
https://launchpad.net/~christian-roessner-net/+archive/dovecot ) and
when I go to install the Antispam plug-in from source, executing the
"configure" script yields the following error:

# ~/dovecot-antispam-plugin# ./configure
[...]
checking for dovecot-config in "/usr/local/lib/dovecot"... not found
configure:
configure: Use --with-dovecot=DIR to provide the path to the
dovecot-config file.
configure: error: dovecot-config not found

I'm assuming that this directory does not exist on my system because I
didn't install Dovecot from source.

Is this accurate? If so, is my only option to install Dovecot from
source and then attempt the same with the Antispam plug-in?

Thanks for any pointers,

-Ben