[Dovecot] best way to activate quota

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Sep 12 01:21:03 EEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 07:20:02PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 7.9.2012, at 13.11, Angel L. Mateo wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > 	I'm planning to activate quota control in dovecot, with maildir quota backend. I have about 70k users in my system directed to 4 backend servers (with a director to ensure that a user is always directed to the same server).
> >
> > 	I have tried to activate it in one of my nodes. The problem is that load of it has increase a lot, as much as the system was unusable (maildir is in nfs storage, with indexes in local disks).
> >
> > 	What do you think is the best to activate it?
>
> Use dict-file quota instead of Maildir++ quota.

Sorry to jump into this topic, but can I ask why? Is dict quota is superior
over Maildir++ quota in performance in general or it is "only" about the
fact, that it's better in the case like above: activating the quota for many
users later than the creation of the server itself?

The question is interesting for me as well, as I need to implement quota
with maildir (on NFS).