[Dovecot] best way to activate quota

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Wed Sep 12 09:48:19 EEST 2012

Il 12/09/2012 00:28, Timo Sirainen ha scritto:
> On 12.9.2012, at 1.21, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
>

>> Sorry to jump into this topic, but can I ask why? Is dict quota is superior
>> over Maildir++ quota in performance in general or it is "only" about the
>> fact, that it's better in the case like above: activating the quota for many
>> users later than the creation of the server itself?
> Activating quota is equally slow, because it needs to scan sizes of all files. If the size is stored in maildir filename (,S=123) this is pretty fast, otherwise it's pretty slow because Dovecot stat()s the files, but afterwards it stores them to dovecot-uidlist file. So the main difference is that Maildir++ requires rescanning the quota periodically, while dict quota never rescans unless you run doveadm quota rescan.

But dict quota, for enforce limits, can only be used with dovect as LDA?
I'm using Maildir++ with qmail/vpopmail for local delivery and dovecot
cannot enforce limits on delivery. With this configuration the only way
to update dictionary is "doveadm -A quota rescan".

Is correct?

--
Alessio Cecchi is:
@ ILS -> http://www.linux.it/~alessice/